Road Safety Record
The annual road safety record presents the number of victims involved in traffic accidents on Québec roads over the 6 previous years. It includes detailed statistics based on the types of injuries sustained, types of road users, age groups, and regions.
2021 Road Safety Record
In 2021, there were fewer traffic accident victims when compared to the average for the previous 5 years.
Here are the main points:
- 347 people were killed on our roads, 2 more than the 2016-2020 average, which corresponds to a 0.7% increase.
- Compare to the 2016-2020 average, the number of fatalities:
- decreased by 15% among 15- to 24-year-olds
- decreased by 8.5% among victims aged 75 or older
- increased by 27.4% among motorcyclists
- decreased by 20,7% among pedestrians
- increased by 56.9% among cyclists
- 1,227 people sustained serious injuries, which corresponds to 152 fewer than the 2016-2020 average (an 11% decrease)
- 26,314 people sustained minor injuries, which corresponds to 5,958 fewer than the 2016-2020 average (an 18.5% decrease)
To learn more, see the Bilan routier 2021 – Faits saillants (PDF, 2.3 Mo) and the Bilan routier 2021 – Annexes (PDF, 2.2 Mo) (documents available in French only).
Explore the 2021 road safety record statistics on a map.
Road Safety Record Archives
See the documents
Find the road safety records from previous years in the “Espace recherche” section (in French only).
Last update: May 26, 2023