Registering a Vehicle Bought or Sold by a Business

Vehicles bought or sold by a business must be registered at an SAAQ service outlet.

1 Before registration

To avoid unpleasant surprises

Before buying a used vehicle, check the Registre des droits personnels et réels mobiliers (register of personal and movable real rights—in French only) to make sure it is free of debt. If you buy a vehicle that has not been paid for in full, it can be seized by the creditor.

You can also request the vehicle's ownership history from the SAAQ to find out:

  • if it has been rebuilt
  • if it has passed a mechanical inspection
  • how many people have owned it
  • how it has been used in the past, e.g. if it was used as a taxi before October 10, 2020

To obtain the vehicle's ownership history, you can:

The vehicle cannot be registered…

If the buyer or the seller has an unpaid fine for an offence under the Highway Safety Code or under a municipal traffic or parking bylaw.

The Bureau des infractions et amendes and the municipal courts are responsible for collecting fines. You cannot pay a fine at an SAAQ service outlet.

To check whether the vehicle can be registered, you can use our online service

If the vehicle is jointly purchased

The buyers must designate a registrant. For more information, see our Registering a Co-Owned Vehicle Fact Sheet (PDF, 137.2 ko)This file does not meet the Web accessibility standard..

To register a vehicle to a business

The business must be registered with the Registraire des entreprises (enterprise register) because you need to provide your Québec enterprise number (NEQ) to register your vehicle.

If the vehicle is prohibited from being put into operation or or has been stored for one year or longer

It cannot be put back into operation until it has undergone a mechanical inspection carried out by a road vehicle inspection agent authorized by the SAAQ and a mechanical inspection certificate has been issued confirming that the vehicle meets the applicable standards.

2 When you register your vehicle

Documents required

The buyer and the seller – or their representatives – must present:

  • their driver's licence or another official photo ID document
  • the vehicle sales contract

Before Going to an SAAQ Service Outlet

Call Revenu Québec to find out which documents are necessary for the calculation of QST in the following cases:

  • if the vehicle is more than 25 years old (more than 40 years old, in the case of a truck)
  • if the vehicle is a used luxury vehicle less than 25 years old and not listed in the reference guide used by Revenu Québec (luxury vehicles that are not listed: Aston Martin, Bentley, Ferrari, Hummer, Lamborghini, Lotus, Maserati and Rolls Royce)
  • if the vehicle comes from outside Canada
  • if the used vehicle is damaged or has unusual wear

Other documents, such as a valid mechanical inspection certificate, may be required depending on the type of vehicle to be registered.

If the vehicle is new

A buyer must also present the Attestation de transaction avec un commerçant and Description du véhicule neuf forms provided by the dealer.

If the vehicle is used

A buyer who purchases a used vehicle from a dealer must also present the Attestation de transaction avec un commerçant form.

If the person registering the vehicle does not have a driver's licence

Phone us to find out what documents to bring when registering the vehicle.

If none of the business's directors can come to the service outlet in person

The person registering the vehicle will have to present the original copy of a document authorizing the person to act on the business’s behalf.

If the vehicle comes from outside Québec

A vehicle from outside Québec is considered to be an imported vehicle, which means there are other documents the buyer will have to provide so that we can verify whether the vehicle can be used in Québec. Refer to Registering a vehicle from outside Québec section for more information.

3 Costs and payment

Registration fees

To find out the cost to have a vehicle bought or sold by a business registered, visit the Rates and Fines section.

Payment options

At our service outlets, we accept payment:

  • in cash
  • by Interac (debit card)—not available in some service outlets
  • by one or more pre-authorized debits (a cheque specimen must be provided)
  • by cheque or money order

Payment by credit card is not accepted.

Payment of the GST and QST

Whether the vehicle is new or used, the buyer must pay the GST and QST if the vehicle was bought from a dealership, business or self-employed worker registered for the GST and QST.

If the vehicle is purchased from an individual, the buyer is only required to pay the QST.

For more information on the payment or collection of taxes, phone Revenu Québec.

4 Insurance

The business that has purchased the vehicle must have a civil liability insurance policy contracted from a private insurer providing minimum coverage of $50,000. The minimum is $1 million if the business owns or operates heavy vehicles and $2 million if it hauls hazardous materials.

If the business is not insured and one of its vehicles is involved in a traffic accident that causes more than $500 in damage to the property of another party:

  • all of its vehicles may be prohibited from road use
  • it will be assessed a fine that varies depending on the type of vehicle

The seller remains the owner and liable for the vehicle until...

The vehicle is registered in the buyer's name.

This means that should the buyer commit an offence or be involved in an accident with a vehicle that is still registered in the seller's name, it is the seller who would be held responsible.

Last update: May 16, 2022