Transportation Outside Québec

Fuel Tax – IFTA

Operators involved in the transportation of goods or passengers outside Québec must comply with the International Fuel Tax Agreement (IFTA).

International Fuel Tax Agreement (IFTA)

As a result of the International Fuel Tax Agreement (IFTA), operators are not required to file a fuel tax return for each Canadian province or American State where their vehicle has travelled.

To comply with the IFTA

As an operator, you must, among other things:

  • obtain from Revenu Québec the permit and stickers authorizing you to operate in Québec as well as in any other Canadian or American IFTA jurisdictions.
  • complete, every 3 months, a fuel tax return and send it to Revenu Québec
  • obtain a certificate for occasional trips from the Commission des transports du Québec
  • keep a register

For more information

Phone Revenu Québec 

418 652-4382
1 800 237-4382

Last update: May 17, 2022