Public Automobile Insurance Plan
Labour Costs Incurred for a Family Business
If you can no longer work in a family business as a result of your injuries, the SAAQ can reimburse certain costs of labour hired to replace you.
What you should know
If you sustained injuries in a traffic accident and you were working without pay in a family business at the time of the accident, we can reimburse certain labour costs if:
- you are no longer able to carry out your regular duties
- you hired someone to replace you
- At the time of your traffic accident, you were working without pay in a family businessBusiness operated by persons related by blood, adoption or marriage, regardless of its legal status. .
- The injuries you sustained prevent you from carrying out your regular duties.
- You have to hire someone to whom you have to pay a wage to work in your place.
Please note that:
- you are not required to be a relative of the persons operating the family business
- being an owner or shareholder of the family business in which you were working at the time of your accident does not render you ineligible for a reimbursement of substitute labour costs
Maximum allowable amount for substitute labour costs
A maximum weekly amount of $947 is allowed for a maximum of 6 months (or 180 days), as of the date of your traffic accident.
Substitute labour costs are reimbursed on presentation of a receipt or an invoice that includes the following information:
- the name and address of the person hired
- the period covered by the claim for reimbursement
- the amount paid or invoiced for the work carried out
Do you have any questions?
We are there to help you. Phone us, and we will give you all the information that applies to your situation. If need be, we will put you in contact with your compensation officer.
Last update: May 17, 2022