Halloween (Ages 5-12)
Discover our best tips for celebrating Halloween safely.
We wish to remind you of the importance of following safety rules on Halloween night. Tips and games are available to encourage children, parents and drivers to be careful.
Tips for Children
- Wear light-coloured clothing with reflective strips.
- Put on make-up instead of wearing a Halloween mask.
- Use a flashlight to see better and be more visible to drivers.
- Trick-or-treat with members of your household and always wait outside of the house.
- Trick-or-treat on one side of the street at a time, and only cross when you need to. Walk on the sidewalk, or, if there isn’t one, on the side of the road, facing traffic.
- Cross the street at intersections and pay attention to traffic lights and signals. Before crossing, check traffic by looking left, then right, then left again.
- Don’t go near or get into a vehicle without permission from your parents.
- With your parents, check the candy you get to make sure it’s safe to eat.
Tips for Parents and Drivers
Children may have difficulty estimating a vehicle’s distance and speed, especially in the dark.
- Avoid travelling by car on Halloween night, if possible.
- When driving, slow down and anticipate the presence of excited and unpredictable children on the streets.
- Be patient and courteous with pedestrians and other drivers.
Get ready for trick-or-treating by testing your knowledge online with our interactive game (available in French only).
Connect the characters to what they should have or do to go trick-or-treating safely and use the secret code to discover the missing words. Safety rules won’t be a mystery to you!
Last update: October 23, 2021