Vehicle Storage, Licensing for Road Use or Discarding



If you wish to put your vehicle into storage (with the intention of using it again later), you can do so by submitting a request to the SAAQ.

You can carry out the storage operation in advance or on the same day you plan to store your vehicle.

Dates to store a motorcycle or snowmobile

To be entitled to a partial reimbursement of the registration fees, you must store:

  • a motorcycle no later than September 30
  • a snowmobile no later than March 31

1 Procedure to store a vehicle


  • If the vehicle is registered to an individual or under more than one name (co-ownership or co-leasing): Vehicle Storage
    • A new version of this service will be offered through the SAAQclic online services platform. Discover SAAQclic.
  • If the vehicle is registered to a business: SAAQclic – Entreprises (in French only)

Using the automated telephone service

On the “To Reach Us” page, choose “To store a vehicle” – Have the registration certificate for the vehicle you wish to store on hand.

In person

Go to one of our service outlets. You will have to provide:

  • the registration certificate of the vehicle you wish to store
  • your driver's licence or other official document with photo

If you cannot come to the service outlet yourself

The person who will store the vehicle in your place must bring one of the following documents completed by you:


  • the vehicle registration payment notice with the “VEHICLE STORED” box checked off

If the vehicle to be stored belongs to a business, the person acting on its behalf must bring one of the following documents:

  • the original copy of a document authorizing the person to act in that capacity


  • the vehicle registration payment notice with the “VEHICLE STORED” box checked off


  • Leave the licence plate on the stored vehicle.
  • Keep the most recent registration certificate; you will need it when you license the vehicle for road use.
  • Never park a stored vehicle on a public road. You must store it in a yard, in a garage, on private property, etc.

If you received authorization to use the vehicle sto provide remunerated passenger transportation, putting it into storage will cancel that authorization. If you wish to provide remunerated passenger transportation with the vehicle again, you must go to a service outlet to apply for a new authorization when you license your vehicle for road use. 

A vehicle that has been in storage for 12 months or longer will have to undergo a mandatory mechanical inspection.

2 Reimbursement

The amount of the registration fee reimbursement is based on the storage date.

The reimbursement can be paid:

  • by cheque
  • by adjusting the pre-authorized debits, if applicable
  • on a debit card presented by the vehicle owner

However, for a refund of the portion of the insurance contribution applicable to remunerated passenger transportation by automobile that was overpaid, you must:

  • go to a service outlet

Last update: June  8, 2022