Registering a Vehicle

Farm Tractor


Any farm tractor that operates on a public road must be registered at an SAAQ service outlet.

A farm tractorA tractor that is equipped with tires and is generally used for agricultural purposes, whether or not it is authorized for use on public roads. The tractor must belong to an individual or company that owns or leases a farm and whose principal occupation is farming, or that is a member of an association certified under the Farm Producers Act. is used to pull farm equipment.

The farm tractor may belong to:

  • a farmer
  • an individual who uses it for personal purposes
  • a business

What does not qualify as a farm tractor

Even if used for the operation of a farm, the following vehicles are not considered farm tractors and must be registered as tool vehicles:

  • loaders
  • skid-steer loaders
  • backhoe loaders
  • telescopic loaders

All-terrain vehicles (e.g. quads bikes and multi-seat recreational off-road vehicles, also known as side-by-side vehicles [SSV]) used for the operation of a farm must be registered as off-road vehicles.

1 Before registration

The vehicle cannot be registered…

If the buyer or the seller has an unpaid fine for an offence under the Highway Safety Code or under a municipal traffic or parking bylaw.

The Bureau des infractions et amendes and the municipal courts are responsible for collecting fines. You cannot pay a fine at an SAAQ service outlet.

To check whether the vehicle can be registered, you can use our online service. You will be charged a fee for this service.

To avoid unpleasant surprises

Before buying a used tractor, check with the Registre des droits personnels et réels mobiliers (register of personal and movable real rights—in French only) to make sure it is free of debt. If you buy a tractor that has not been paid for in full, it can be seized by the creditor.

If the tractor has previously been registered, you can also request a copy of the vehicle record from the SAAQ to find out how it has been used in the past.

To obtain a copy of the vehicle record, you can:

2 When you register your farm tractor

Documents required

The buyer and the seller must present their driver's licence or another official photo ID document.

To demonstrate that the vehicle will be used for the operation of their farm, farmers are also required to show:

Before Going to an SAAQ Service Outlet

To find out which documents are necessary for the calculation of QST, call Revenu Québec:

  • if the vehicle is more than 25 years old (more than 40 years old, in the case of a truck)
  • if the vehicle is a used luxury vehicle less than 25 years old and not listed in the reference guide used by Revenu Québec (luxury vehicles that are not listed: Aston Martin, Bentley, Ferrari, Hummer, Lamborghini, Lotus, Maserati and Rolls Royce)
  • if the vehicle comes from outside Canada
  • if the used vehicle is damaged or has unusual wear

If the tractor is new

You must present the Attestation de transaction avec un commerçant form that you received from the dealer. You can also present the Description du véhicule neuf form, if you were given one.

If the tractor is used

The documents you must present when you register your farm tractor are different depending on the person or business from which you bought it.

Bought from a dealership Bought from an individual Bought from a business registered for the GST and QSTA business or self-employed worker that is registered for and collects the GST and QST. For more information, phone Revenu Québec.
  • The Attestation de transaction avec un commerçant form
  • The registration certificate signed by the former owner and the dealer
  • No additional documents required
  • The sales contract between the buyer and the business that owns the vehicle

If you are under age 18

You must also present the Consent of a Person Having Parental Authority (PDF, 123.4 ko) form completed by your father, mother or legal guardian.

If you do not have a driver's licence

Phone us to find out what documents you must bring with you when registering your tractor.

If you cannot go in person

The person registering the vehicle on your behalf will need to provide the original Power of Attorney (PDF, 224.7 ko) form completed by you beforehand.

If the tractor is from outside Québec

It is considered to be an imported vehicle. In that case, there are other documents you have to present so that we can verify whether the vehicle is authorized for road use in Québec. To find out more, visit the Registering a vehicle from outside Québec web page.

3 Costs and payment

Payment methods

At our service outlets, we accept payment:

  • in cash
  • by Interac (debit card)—not available in some service outlets
  • by one or more pre-authorized debits (a cheque specimen must be provided)
  • by cheque or money order

Payment by credit card is not accepted.

Payment of the GST and QST

When purchasing a tractor, you must only pay the GST and QST if the tractor is equipped with a power take-off (PTO) under 44.74 kW (60 HP). The tractor’s PTO must be demonstrated when the tractor is registered. For tractors equipped with a PTO of 44.74 kW (60 HP) or higher, taxes apply as follows:

If the tractor is purchased from an individual, you are only required to pay the QST.

If the tractor is purchased from a dealership, business or self-employed worker registered for the GST and QST, you must pay the GST and QST, whether it is new or used.

For more information, in particular regarding paying taxes when renting or leasing a tractor, call Revenu Québec.

4 Info+

The seller remains the owner and person liable for the tractor until...

The tractor is registered in the buyer's name.

This means that should the buyer commit an offence or be involved in an accident with a tractor that is still registered in the seller's name, it is the seller who would be held responsible.

Last update: May 13, 2022