Heavy Vehicles

Heavy Vehicle Registration

Here is the procedure to register a heavy vehicle, renew the registration or obtain a temporary registration certificate (trip permit).

Heavy vehicles covered

International Registration Plan (IRP)

If you use certain heavy vehicles to transport goods or passengers outside Québec, you are required to register those vehicles in the International Registration Plan (IRP).

Vehicle Registration Renewal

Heavy vehicle owners must renew their vehicle registration every year.

Temporary registration certificate (trip permit)

The owner of a heavy vehicle that is not registered in Québec or in the IRP, but used for the transportation of goods or passengers in Québec, must obtain a registration certificate for a single trip, commonly referred to as a “trip permit”, every time they travel in Québec.

Last update: May 17, 2022