Registering a Vehicle

Vintage Motorcycle


A vintage motorcycle must be registered at an SAAQ service outlet.

A vintage motorcycle, that is, a motorcycle whose model year is prior to 1981, must be preserved or restored to its original condition before it can be issued a licence plate with the prefix “C” followed by numbers.

Once it it is registered under a restriced-area use licence plate, the motorcycle may:

  • be operated only on roads with a speed limit of 70 km/h or less, provided those roads are not highways or limited access roadsA public road that may be entered or left only at the specially provided entrances or exits.
  • perform a right-angle crossing on roads where the speed limit is above 70 km/h, provided those roads are not highways or limited access highways

Vintage motorcycles bearing a restricted-area use licence plate are authorized to be operated on all public roads when they are travelling as part of an event organized by a vintage motorcycle club registered in Québec.

1 Before registration

The vehicle cannot be registered…

If the buyer or the seller has an unpaid fine for an offence under the Highway Safety Code or under a municipal traffic or parking bylaw.

The Bureau des infractions et amendes and the municipal courts are responsible for collecting fines. You cannot pay a fine at an SAAQ service outlet.

To check whether the vehicle can be registered, you can use our online service

If the motorcycle is not authorized for road use or has been stored for one year or longer

It cannot be re-authorized for road use until it has passed a mechanical inspection carried out by a certified business and a valid mechanical inspection certificate has been issued.

2 When you register your vintage motorcycle

Documents required

The buyer and the seller must present their driver's licence or another official photo ID document.

Before Going to an SAAQ Service Outlet

Call Revenu Québec to find out which documents are necessary for the calculation of QST in the following cases:

  • if the vehicle is more than 25 years old (more than 40 years old, in the case of a truck)
  • if the vehicle is a used luxury vehicle less than 25 years old and not listed in the reference guide used by Revenu Québec (luxury vehicles that are not listed: Aston Martin, Bentley, Ferrari, Hummer, Lamborghini, Lotus, Maserati and Rolls Royce)
  • if the vehicle comes from outside Canada
  • if the used vehicle is damaged or has unusual wear

The documents you must present when you register your vintage motorcycle are different depending on the person or business from which you bought it. In all cases, the odometer reading must be specified.

Bought from a dealership Bought from an individual Bought from a business or a self-employed worker registered for the GST and QSTA business or self-employed worker that is registered for and collects the GST and QST. For more information, phone Revenu Québec.
  • The Attestation de transaction avec un commerçant form
  • The registration certificate signed by the former owner and the dealer
  • No additional documents required
  • The sales contract between the buyer and the business or self-employed worker that owns the vehicle


If you are under age 18

You must also present the Consent of a Person Having Parental Authority (PDF, 123.4 ko) form completed by your father, mother or legal guardian.

If you do not have a driver's licence

Phone us to find out what documents you must bring with you when registering your motorcycle.

If you cannot go in person

The person who goes to the service outlet for you must bring the original Power of Attorney (PDF, 298.8 ko) form completed by you beforehand.

If the motorcycle is from outside Québec

It is considered to be an imported vehicle. In that case, there are other documents you have to present so that we can verify whether the motorcycle is authorized for road use in Québec.

3 Costs and payment

Payment options

At our service outlets, we accept payment:

  • in cash
  • by Interac (debit card)—not available in some service outlets
  • by cheque or money order

Payment by credit card is not accepted.

Payment of the GST and QST

You must pay the GST and QST if you buy it from a dealership, business or self-employed worker registered for the GST and QST.

For more information, phone Revenu Québec.

If the motorcycle is purchased from an individual, you are only required to pay the QST.

4 Info+

The seller remains the owner and person liable for the motorcycle until...

It is registered in the buyer's name.

This means that should the buyer commit an offence or be involved in an accident with a motorcycle that is still registered in the seller's name, it is the seller who would be held responsible.

Last update: May 16, 2022