Registering a Vehicle

Vehicle Registered for Off-Road Use


Vehicles that are designed for operation on public roads but operated solely on private roads or property must be registered under a V licence plate at an SAAQ service outlet.

Vehicles that can be registered for off-road use include:

  • automobiles
  • motorcycles
  • mopeds and scooters
  • trucksA road vehicle having a net weight of more than 3,000 kg, designed and outfitted primarily for freight transport or for carrying equipment that is permanently attached to the vehicle. However, a 2-axle road vehicle with a net weight of 4,000 kg or less is not considered to be a truck if it is not used for commercial or employment-related purposes, is owned by a natural person, is equipped with a separate enclosed cab and has (or originally had) an open truck box and tailgate.
  • motor homesA motor vehicle permanently converted into living quarters.
  • buses and minibuses
  • multi-passenger snowmobiles
  • tool vehiclesA road vehicle, other than a vehicle mounted on a truck chassis, designed to perform a task and having a workstation integrated into the cab. A truck chassis is a frame fitted with the mechanical components found on a vehicle made for the transportation of passengers, freight or equipment.
  • trailersA road vehicle that is designed to be pulled by another vehicle, whether or not it maintains a horizontal position without outside support., camping trailers or tent-trailers
  • snowblowersA road vehicle with a net weight of more than 900 kg, equipped with a mechanical blower to remove snow.
  • military vehicles

Owners of certain off-road vehicles with a gross vehicle weight ratingA vehicle's weight, including its maximum load capacity, according to the manufacturer's specifications. of 4,500 kg or more must register in the Commission des transports du Québec's register of owners and operators of heavy vehicles.

1 Where are vehicles registered as off-road vehicles allowed to travel?

Vehicles registered as off-road vehicles are not authorized to travel on public roads.

Operation of such vehicles is restricted to private roads or property, in particular:

  • race tracks
  • property owned by a municipality or the government
  • outfitter areas
  • airports, ports and railway stations

2 Before registration

The vehicle cannot be registered…

If the buyer or the seller has an unpaid fine for an offence under the Highway Safety Code or under a municipal traffic or parking bylaw.

The Bureau des infractions et amendes and the municipal courts are responsible for collecting fines. You cannot pay a fine at an SAAQ service outlet.

To check whether the vehicle can be registered, you can use our online service

To avoid unpleasant surprises

Before buying a used vehicle, check with the Registre des droits personnels et réels mobiliers (register of personal and movable real rights—in French only) to make sure it is free of debt. If you buy a vehicle that has not been paid for in full, it can be seized by the creditor.

You can also request a copy of the vehicle record from the SAAQ to find out:

  • if it has been rebuilt
  • if it has passed a mechanical inspection
  • how many people have owned it
  • how it has been used

To obtain a copy of the vehicle record, you can:

3 When you register your vehicle

Documents required

The buyer and the seller must present their driver's licence or another official photo ID document.

Before Going to an SAAQ Service Outlet

Call Revenu Québec to find out which documents are necessary for the calculation of QST in the following cases:

  • if the vehicle is more than 25 years old (more than 40 years old, in the case of a truck)
  • if the vehicle is a used luxury vehicle less than 25 years old and not listed in the reference guide used by Revenu Québec (luxury vehicles that are not listed: Aston Martin, Bentley, Ferrari, Hummer, Lamborghini, Lotus, Maserati and Rolls Royce)
  • if the vehicle comes from outside Canada
  • if the used vehicle is damaged or has unusual wear

If the vehicle registered for off-road use is new

You must present the Attestation de transaction avec un commerçant and Description du véhicule neuf forms that you received from the dealer.

If the vehicle registered for off-road use is used

You must present the form entitled Attestation de transaction avec un commerçant and the vehicle’s registration certificate signed by the former owner and the dealer, if the vehicle was bought from a dealership.

If you are under age 18

You must also present the Consent of a Person Having Parental Authority (PDF, 123.4 ko) form completed by your father, mother or legal guardian.

If you do not have a driver's licence

Call us to find out what documents you need to bring to register your vehicle.

If you cannot go in person

The person registering the vehicle on your behalf will need to provide the original Power of Attorney (PDF, 224.7 ko) form completed by you beforehand.

If the vehicle is from outside Québec

A vehicle from outside Québec is considered to be an imported vehicle, which means there are other documents you will have to provide so that we can verify whether the vehicle can be used in Québec. Refer to the Registering a vehicle from outside Québec section for more information.

4 Costs and payment

Payment options

At our service outlets, we accept payment:

  • in cash
  • by Interac (debit card)—not available in some service outlets
  • by cheque or money order

Payment by credit card is not accepted.

Payment of the GST and QST

Whether the vehicle is new or used, you must pay the GST and QST if you buy it from a dealership.

If the vehicle is purchased from an individual, you are only required to pay the QST.

The vehicle registration fee will be higher if…

The vehicle is considered a luxury vehicle. This is the case when the vehicle meets all 3 of the following criteria:

  • it is worth more than $40,000
  • it has a net weight of 3,000 kg or less
  • it is less than 7 years old

Where this is the case, an additional registration fee—equal to 1% of the vehicle's value exceeding $40,000—must be paid.

Certain vehicles, such as motor homes, are exempt from the additional registration fee.

5 Insurance

You must hold private civil liability insurance for at least $1,00,000 to ensure compensation for any bodily injury or property damage caused by your vehicle.

Check with the SAAQ to find out if you are entitled to financial compensation for injuries sustained in an accident involving your vehicle registered as an off-road vehicle.

Last update: May 13, 2022