Registering a Vehicle

Commercial Vehicle


A passenger vehicle purchased by a business or self-employed worker must be registered at the dealership or at an SAAQ service outlet.

What qualifies as a commercial vehicle

A commercial vehicle is a vehicle with a net weight of 3,000 kg or less. It is owned by a business, a self-employed worker or a natural person that uses it mainly for commercial or professional purposes.

This category may include, in particular, the following vehicles:

  • automobiles
  • sport utility vehicles (SUVs)
  • trucks, pickup trucks or vans weighing 3,000 kg or less

1 Before registration

The business must be registered with the Registraire des entreprises (enterprise register), because you need to provide your Québec enterprise number (NEQ) to register your vehicle.

To avoid unpleasant surprises

Before buying a used vehicle, check the Registre des droits personnels et réels mobiliers (register of personal and movable real rights—in French only) to make sure it is free of debt. If you buy a vehicle that has not been paid for in full, it can be seized by the creditor.

You can also request a copy of the vehicle record from the SAAQ to find out:

  • if it has been rebuilt
  • if it has passed a mechanical inspection
  • how many people have owned it
  • how it has been used in the past, e.g. if it was used as a taxi before October 10, 2020

To obtain a copy of the vehicle record, you can:

The vehicle cannot be registered…

If the buyer or the seller has an unpaid fine for an offence under the Highway Safety Code or under a municipal traffic or parking bylaw.

The Bureau des infractions et amendes and the municipal courts are responsible for collecting fines. You cannot pay a fine at an SAAQ service outlet.

To check whether the vehicle can be registered, you can use our online service. You will be charged a fee for this service.

If the vehicle is not authorized for road use or has been stored for one year or longer

It cannot be put back into operation until it has undergone a mechanical inspection carried out by a certified business and a mechanical inspection certificate has been issued confirming that the vehicle meets the applicable standards.

2 Registering your vehicle at the dealership

Registration at the dealership is carried out when the vehicle is delivered to the buyer.

If the dealer uses the SAAQclic-Commerçants service, registration can be carried out on site. This saves time, since you do not have to come to one of our service outlets.

If the dealer does not use this service, the buyer is given a temporary registration certificate which will provide enough time to come to a service outlet to register the vehicle.

In both cases, the person registering the vehicle must present his or her driver’s licence or another official photo ID document.

3 Registering your vehicle at a service outlet

Documents required

The buyer and the seller – or their representatives – must present their driver's licence or another official photo ID document.

Before Going to an SAAQ Service Outlet

To find out which documents are necessary for the calculation of QST, call Revenu Québec:

  • if the vehicle is more than 25 years old (more than 40 years old, in the case of a truck)
  • if the vehicle is a used luxury vehicle less than 25 years old and not listed in the reference guide used by Revenu Québec (luxury vehicles that are not listed: Aston Martin, Bentley, Ferrari, Hummer, Lamborghini, Lotus, Maserati and Rolls Royce)
  • if the vehicle comes from outside Canada
  • if the used vehicle is damaged or has unusual wear

If the vehicle is new

The buyer must present the Attestation de transaction avec un commerçant and Description du véhicule neuf forms given by the dealer.

If the vehicle is used

The documents you must present when you register your vehicle are different depending on the person or business from which you bought it. In any case, you must indicate the vehicle's odometer reading.

Bought from a dealership Bought from an individual Bought from a business or a self-employed worker registered for the GST and QST
  • The Attestation de transaction avec un commerçant form
  • The registration certificate signed by the former owner and the dealer
  • No additional documents required
  • The sales contract between the buyer and the business or self-employed worker

If the person registering the vehicle does not have a driver's licence

Phone us to find out what documents to bring when registering the vehicle.

If none of the business' directors can come to the service outlet in person

The person registering the vehicle will have to present the original copy of a document authorizing that person to act on its behalf.

If the vehicle comes from outside Québec

A vehicle from outside Québec is considered to be an imported vehicle, which means there are other documents the buyer will have to provide so that we can verify whether the vehicle can be used in Québec. Refer to Registering a vehicle from outside Québec section for more information.

4 Costs and payment

Registration fees

To find out the cost to have a commercial vehicle registered, visit the Rates and Fines section.

Payment methods

At our service outlets, we accept payment:

  • in cash
  • by Interac (debit card)—not available in some service outlets
  • by one or more pre-authorized debits (a cheque specimen must be provided)
  • by cheque or money order

Payment by credit card is not accepted.

Payment of the GST and QST

Whether the vehicle is new or used, the buyer must pay the GST and QST if the vehicle is bought from a dealership, business or self-employed worker registered for the GST and QST.

For more information, phone Revenu Québec.

If the vehicle is purchased from an individual, the buyer is only required to pay the QST.

The cost of registration will be higher if…

  • the vehicle is considered a luxury vehicle (it is worth more than $40,000 and is less than 7 years old), in which case a surcharge is added to the registration fee equal to 1% of the portion of the vehicle's value over $40,000
  • the engine has a cylinder capacity of 3.95 litres or more, in the case of a vehicle with a model year of 1995 or later.

5 Insurance

The business must have a civil liability insurance policy contracted from a private insurer providing minimum coverage of $50,000.

If the business' vehicle is not insured and it is pulled over by the police or involved in an accident that causes more than $500 in damage to the property of another party:

  • all of the business' vehicles may be prohibited from road use
  • the business will be assessed a fine of $325 to $2,800 

The business remains the owner and liable for the vehicle until...

The vehicle is registered in the buyer's name.

This means that should the buyer commit an offence or be involved in an accident with a vehicle that is still registered in the business' name, it is the business who would be held responsible.

Last update: May 16, 2022