At the first signs of fatigue, the only thing to do is to stop at a safe place to take a break and stretch your legs or take a nap for 15 minutes or so. Learn to recognize the signs of fatigue:
- You yawn frequently.
- Your eyes are burning.
- You are having trouble keeping your eyes open.
- You can’t find a comfortable position.
- You have trouble concentrating.
- You are having problems maintaining a steady speed and keeping the vehicle on a straight course in your lane.
- Your reactions are slower.
- You are having memory lapses (ex.: you can’t remember the last few kilometers driven).
- You are seeing things that are not there, particularly when there is fog or on monotonous stretches of highway (ex.: you think you see an animal on the road).