Reacquiring or Reinstating a Driver’s Licence
The procedure to reacquire a driver’s licence that was suspended during an arrest or revoked as a result of a conviction for driving while impaired by alcohol, drugs or medication involves several steps.
1 What you should know
Driving while impaired by alcohol, drugs or medication is severely punished by 2 laws:
- the Criminal Code by virtue of which you can be imposed:
- a driving prohibition
- a fine or a prison sentence
- the Highway Safety Code, by virtue of which you can be imposed:
- the immediate suspension of your driver’s licence during an arrest or licence revocation following a conviction
- the suspension of your right to obtain a licence
- strict conditions for reacquiring a licence
2 First, second or third offence?
The penalties vary based on the offender’s judicial record as regards impaired driving.
Select the answer that applies to your situation
Last update: July 21, 2021