In Remote Areas
Mechanical inspections in remote areas are carried out on road vehicles operated in towns and villages that are not connected to the road network or in areas where the services of a road vehicle inspection agent cannot be obtained because of distance or the difficulties of travel.
To undergo a mechanical inspection
- Contact a mechanic.
- Make sure the mechanic has been authorized by the SAAQ to carry out mechanical inspections in remote areas.
- Download the form entitled Request for a Mechanical Inspection Certificate (PDF, 173.4 ko).
- Fill out the first three sections of the form and give it to the mechanic at the time of the mechanical inspection.
- Have the mechanic carry out the mechanical inspection of your vehicle.
- Mail the following documents to the address provided on the form:
- the completed form
- a photocopy of the vehicle’s registration certificate
- a cheque or postal money order for $7.13, made out to the Société de l’assurance automobile du Québec, for the inspection sticker
To propose a mechanic
To propose that a particular mechanic be authorized to carry out mechanical inspections in a remote area, you must do the following:
- Make sure the mechanic meets at least one of the following criteria:
- The mechanic holds a valid certificate of vocational qualification, issued by a parity committee pursuant to the Act respecting collective agreement decrees, that attests to the fact that he or she is a qualified journeyman/journeywoman general mechanic, or a qualified general mechanic
- The mechanic holds a vocational training diploma (DEP) in road vehicle mechanics and has two years of relevant experience
- The mechanic has been employed as a mechanic for at least the past five years, and has been solely responsible for the work he or she performs in that capacity for at least three years
- Complete the form entitled Employment History – Mechanic in a Remote Area (PDF, 117.7 ko) and include a copy of the mechanic's resume.
- Mail or fax the documents to the address or fax number provided on the form.
Last update: December 29, 2022