Vehicle from Outside Québec

When you register your vehicle

Documents required

You must present:

  • your driver's licence or another official photo ID document
  • a sales or leasing contract or an invoice for the vehicle
  • the weight certificate, if the vehicle's net weight is not indicated in the other documents

If the vehicle is new

You must present the Certificate of Origin for a Vehicle (COV) form.

If the vehicle is used

You must present the following documents:

  • a valid mechanical inspection certificate, except for:
    • a snowmobile
    • a snowblower
    • an ATV
    • a tool vehicle
    • a trailer weighing 900 kg or less


  • the registration certificate from the other province or country


  • the Title or Salvage Certificate form signed by the last owner

If you are under age 18

You must also present the Consent of a Person Having Parental Authority (PDF, 102.5 ko) form completed by your father, mother or legal guardian.

If you do not have a driver's licence

Phone us to find out what documents you must bring with you when registering your vehicle.

If you cannot go in person

The person registering the vehicle on your behalf will need to provide the original Power of Attorney (PDF, 275.8 ko) form completed by you.

Other documents

Phone us to check whether other documents will be required for you to register your vehicle, such as:

  • the Confirmation of the transaction carried out between a retailer outside Québec and a Québec resident form (VD-87) you received from the dealer that sold you the vehicle
  • the Collection of customs duties form and the Vehicle Import Form – Form 1 you received from the Canada Border Services Agency when the vehicle entered Canada
  • the lessor’s authorization to register the vehicle in Québec

Certain additional documents, such as a permit issued by the Commission des transports du Québec, are required depending on the type of vehicle imported and how you use it.

Last update: August 17, 2016