Vehicle from Outside Québec
Costs and payment
At our service outlets, we accept payment:
- in cash
- by Interac (debit card)—not available in some service outlets
- by one or more pre-authorized debits (a cheque specimen must be provided)
- by cheque or money order
Payment by credit card is not accepted.
Payment of the GST and QST
You may be required to pay the GST and QST when you register your vehicle.
For more information, phone Revenu Québec.
The cost of registration will be higher…
If the vehicle is a luxury vehicle
A passenger vehicle or a commercial vehicle is considered a luxury vehicle if it meets the following 3 criteria:
- it has a value of more than $40,000
- it has a net weight of 3,000 kg or less
- it is less than 7 years old
In such a case, a surcharge is added to the registration fee equal to 1% of the portion of the vehicle's value over $40,000.
If it is a large-cylinder capacity vehicle
A passenger vehicle, motor home or commercial vehicle is considered to be a large-cylinder capacity vehicle if:
- it has a cylinder capacity of 3.95 litres or more
- the model year is 1995 or later
No additional amount is added to the registration fee for the following large-cylinder capacity vehicles:
- a vehicle adapted for transporting a wheelchair-bound person
- a minibus for a large family (9 or more people living in the same household)
- a taxi
- a vehicle used by a driving school
If you live in one of these places
- An area served by public transit
- The Montréal agglomeration
Last update: December 28, 2018