Vehicle Bought or Sold by a Business

When you register your vehicle

Documents required

The buyer and the seller – or their representatives – must present:

  • their driver's licence or another official photo ID document
  • the vehicle sales contract

Before Going to an SAAQ Service Outlet

Call Revenu Québec to find out which documents are necessary for the calculation of QST in the following cases:

  • if the vehicle is more than 25 years old (more than 40 years old, in the case of a truck)
  • if the vehicle is a used luxury vehicle less than 25 years old and not listed in the reference guide used by Revenu Québec (luxury vehicles that are not listed: Aston Martin, Bentley, Ferrari, Hummer, Lamborghini, Lotus, Maserati and Rolls Royce)
  • if the vehicle comes from outside Canada
  • if the used vehicle is damaged or has unusual wear

Other documents, such as a valid mechanical inspection certificate, may be required depending on the type of vehicle to be registered.

If the vehicle is new

A buyer must also present the Attestation de transaction avec un commerçant and Description du véhicule neuf forms provided by the dealer.

If the vehicle is used

A buyer who purchases a used vehicle from a dealer must also present the Attestation de transaction avec un commerçant form.

If the person registering the vehicle does not have a driver's licence

Phone us to find out what documents to bring when registering the vehicle.

If none of the business's directors can come to the service outlet in person

The person registering the vehicle will have to present the original copy of a document authorizing the person to act on the business’s behalf.

If the vehicle comes from outside Québec

A vehicle from outside Québec is considered to be an imported vehicle, which means there are other documents the buyer will have to provide so that we can verify whether the vehicle can be used in Québec. Refer to Registering a vehicle from outside Québec section for more information.

Last update: May 16, 2022