Severely damaged and rebuilt vehicle

Putting the vehicle back on the road

Step 4 Putting the vehicle back on the road

When registering the vehicle

Documents required

You must present:

  • your driver's licence or another official photo ID document
  • a mechanical inspection certificate confirming that the vehicle meets the applicable standards
  • technical compliance certificate

Other documents may be required depending on the type of rebuilt vehicle and how you intend to use it.

If you are under age 18

You must also present the Consent of a Person Having Parental Authority (PDF, 123.4 ko) form completed by your father, mother or legal guardian.

If you do not have a driver's licence

Phone us to find out what documents will be required for you to put the vehicle back on the road.

If you cannot come to the service outlet in person

The person who goes to the service outlet for you must bring the original of the Power of Attorney (PDF, 224.7 ko) form completed by you.

Costs and payment

Payment options

At our service outlets, we accept payment:

  • in cash
  • by Interac (debit card)—not available in some service outlets
  • by cheque or money order

Payment by credit card is not accepted.

Payment of the GST and QST

You may not be required to pay the GST and QST when you register your vehicle.

For more information, phone Revenu Québec.

The cost of registration will be higher…

If the vehicle is a luxury vehicle

A passenger vehicle or a commercial vehicle is considered a luxury vehicle if it meets the following 3 criteria:

  • it has a value of more than $40,000
  • it has a net weight of 3,000 kg or less
  • it is less than 7 years old

In such a case, a surcharge is added to the registration fee equal to 1% of the portion of the vehicle's value over $40,000.

If it is a large-cylinder capacity vehicle

A passenger vehicle, motor home or commercial vehicle is considered to be a large-cylinder capacity vehicle if:

  • it has a cylinder capacity of 3.95 litres or more


  • the model year is 1995 or later

No surcharge is added to the registration fee for the following large-cylinder capacity vehicles:

  • a vehicle adapted for transporting a wheelchair-bound person
  • a minibus for a large family (9 or more people living in the same household)
  • a vehicle used by a driving school
If you live in one of these places
  • an area served by public transit
  • the Montréal agglomeration


Mandatory private insurance coverage

You must have a civil liability insurance policy contracted from a private insurer providing minimum coverage of $50,000.

If you are not insured and you are pulled over by the police or involved in a traffic accident that causes more than $500 in damage to the property of another party:

  • your driver's licence or your right to obtain one could be suspended
  • all of your vehicles may be prohibited from road use
  • you will be assessed a fine that varies depending on the type of vehicle

Last update: May 31, 2023