Replacing a Licence Plate or Registration Certificate

If a licence plate or registration certificate is lost, stolen, destroyed, illegible or otherwise damaged, you must ask the SAAQ to replace it.

The procedure for replacing a licence plate or registration certificate is different if you are in Québec or elsewhere. Fees apply in both cases.

Useful information

Reflective film wearing off

We replace, free of charge, any licence plate showing signs of wear related to a manufacturing defect causing the reflective film on the licence plate to peel off, no matter the age of the licence plate. To have your licence plate replaced, you must bring it to one of our service outlets. Please note that, if the licence plate was issued by other partners, certain fees may apply. 

Personalized licence plate

A personalized licence plate reported missing or stolen cannot be replaced by another licence plate with the same character combination. To obtain a new personalized licence plate, you must submit a new request for a different character combination and pay the personalized licence plate acquisition fees.

Useful information

Identity theft

If you believe you have been the victim of identity theft, you must file a police report and notify the SAAQ as soon as possible. To find out the steps to follow in the event of identity theft, consult the To Reach Us web page (under "Identity theft").

If you are in Québec

You must come to one of our service outlets.

Documents required

You must present one of the following documents:

  • driver's licence
  • Health Insurance Card
  • Canadian passport
  • Canadian Citizenship Certificate
  • proof of citizenship issued by Citizenship and Immigration Canada

If you cannot come to the service outlet yourself

The person who will be making the request in your place must bring the original copy of the Power of Attorney (PDF, 157 KB) form completed by you.

If the vehicle belongs to a business, the person acting on its behalf must bring the original copy of a document authorizing the person to act in that capacity.

If you are outside Québec

Whether you are a Québec resident, an individual moving outside of Québec or a business establishing itself outside of Québec, you must file your request in writing and ensure that your document contains the following information:

  • the subject of the request
  • your last name and first name, or the name of the business
  • your address in Québec
  • the licence plate number
  • the address to which you would like us to mail your new licence plate or registration certificate
  • the name and telephone number of a contact person in Québec
  • your signature

Please enclose your payment (which must be a cheque or money order made out to the Société de l’assurance automobile du Québec) and mail your request to:

Division du traitement des avis, du permis de conduire et de l’immatriculation
Société de l'assurance automobile du Québec
333, boulevard Jean-Lesage, N-3-14
C. P. 19600, succursale Terminus
Québec (Québec) G1K 8J6

If you are a Québec resident, you may also fax your request to one of the following numbers:

  • Individuals: 1-855-465-7227
  • Businesses: 1-855-868-0152

Once we have received your request, we will open an account and send you a statement of account.