Registering a Vehicle

When you register your truck

Before Going to an SAAQ Service Outlet

To find out which documents are necessary for the calculation of QST, call Revenu Québec:

  • if the vehicle is more than 25 years old (more than 40 years old, in the case of a truck)
  • if the vehicle is a used luxury vehicle less than 25 years old and not listed in the reference guide used by Revenu Québec (luxury vehicles that are not listed: Aston Martin, Bentley, Ferrari, Hummer, Lamborghini, Lotus, Maserati and Rolls Royce)
  • if the vehicle comes from outside Canada
  • if the used vehicle is damaged or has unusual wear

If you do not have a driver's licence

Phone us to find out what documents you must bring with you when registering your truck.

If you cannot come to the service outlet in person

If your business owns the truck, the person who goes to the service outlet to register it must present the original of a power of attorney to act on behalf of the business.

If you are an individual, the person who goes to the service outlet to register the truck for you must bring the original of the Power of Attorney (PDF, 275.8 ko) form completed by you.

If your truck travels outside Québec

Check to see whether the vehicle or combination of road vehicles qualifies for the International Registration Plan(IRP).

Documents required

The buyer and the seller must present their driver's licence or another official photo ID document.

If the truck is new

You must present the Attestation de transaction avec un commerçant and Description du véhicule neuf forms that you received from the dealer.

If the truck is used

The documents you must present when you register your truck are different depending on the person or business you bought it from. In all cases, you must indicate:

  • the truck's odometer reading
  • the maximum number of axles on a combination of road vehicles
Bought from a dealership Bought from a business or a self-employed worker registered for the GST and QSTA business or self-employed worker that is registered for and collects the GST and QST. For more information, phone Revenu Québec.
  • The Attestation de transaction avec un commerçant form
  • The registration certificate signed by the former owner and the dealer
  • The sales contract between the buyer and the business or self-employed worker that owns the vehicle

If the truck is from outside Québec

It is considered to be an imported vehicle. In that case, there are other documents you have to present so that we can verify whether the vehicle is authorized for road use in Québec. To find out more, visit the Registering a vehicle from outside Québec web page.

Last update: July 21, 2021