Registering a Vehicle

Manufactured Trailer


If you are purchasing a commercially manufactured trailer, you must register it at an SAAQ service outlet.

The following vehicles are considered to be trailersA road vehicle that is designed to be pulled by another vehicle, whether or not it maintains a horizontal position without outside support.:

  • cargo-hauling trailers
  • boat trailers
  • drawn machinery
  • construction trailers
  • semi-trailers

1 Before registration

To register a trailer to a business

The business must be registered with the Registraire des entreprises (enterprise register) because you need to provide your Québec enterprise number (NEQ) to register your trailer.

If the trailer has a gross vehicle weight rating of 4,500 kg or more

Registration in the Registre des propriétaires et des exploitants de véhicules lourds (register of owners and operators of heavy vehicles)

You must be registered in the register of owners and operators of heavy vehicles of the Commission des transports du Québec (CTQ):

  • if the trailer has a gross vehicle weight rating of 4,500 kg or more
  • If the trailer and the towing vehicle have a gross vehicle weight rating of 4,500 kg or more

However, if you use the trailer for personal purposes, you do not have to register with the CTQ.

If you are purchasing a trailer without being registered with the CTQ, you can still register your trailer, but you cannot put it into operation.

Mechanical inspection

If the trailer is used, the most recent mechanical inspection must have been performed within the past 12 months, or within the past 6 months for trailers used by a driving school. You must present a valid mechanical inspection certificate when you register your trailer.

The trailer cannot be registered…

If the buyer or the seller has an unpaid fine for an offence under the Highway Safety Code or a municipal traffic or parking bylaw.

To check whether your trailer can be registered, you can use our online service. You will be charged a fee for this service.

2 When you register your trailer

Documents required

The buyer and the seller must present their driver's licence or another official photo ID document.

If the trailer is new

If you bought the trailer from a dealership

The dealer will give you the Attestation de transaction avec un commerçant and Description du véhicule neuf forms, which you must present when you register your trailer.

If you bought the trailer from a manufacturer or other retailer

Regardless of the trailer's net weight, the manufacturer or the retailer will give you a sales contract or an invoice, which you must present when you register your trailer.

The manufacturer or the retailer may also give you the Description du véhicule neuf form. You must present this form at the time of registration if your trailer has a net weight of more than 900 kg.

If the trailer has a net weight of 900 kg or less, you must provide:

  • the vehicle identification number
  • its make
  • its model
  • its year of manufacture

If the trailer is used

The documents you must present when you register your trailer are different depending on the person or business from which you bought it.

Bought from a dealership Bought from an individual Bought from a business or a self-employed worker registered for the GST and QST
  • The Attestation de transaction avec un commerçant form
  • The registration certificate signed by the former owner and the dealer
  • No additional documents required
  • The sales contract between the buyer and the business or self-employed worker that owns the vehicle


If you are under age 18

You must also present the Consent of a Person Having Parental Authority (PDF, 123.4 ko) form completed by your father, mother or legal guardian.

If you do not have a driver's licence

Phone us to find out what documents you must bring with you when registering your trailer.

If you cannot come to the service outlet in person

If your business owns the trailer and none of its directors can be present, the person responsible for registering the trailer must present the original of a document authorizing him or her to act on behalf of the business.

If you are an individual, you must designate someone to act on your behalf during the registration process by completing the Power of Attorney (PDF, 224.7 ko) form.

If the trailer comes from outside Québec

It is considered to be an imported vehicle. In that case, there are other documents you have to present so that we can verify whether the trailer is authorized for road use in Québec. To find out more, visit the Registering a vehicle from outside Québec web page.

3 Costs and payment

Registration fees

To find out the cost to have a commercially manufactured trailer registered, visit the Rates and Fines section.

Payment methods

At our service outlets, we accept payment:

  • in cash
  • by Interac (debit card)—not available in some service outlets
  • by one or more pre-authorized debits (a cheque specimen must be provided)
  • by cheque or money order

Payment by credit card is not accepted.

Payment of the GST and QST

Whether the trailer is new or used, you must pay the GST and QST if you buy it from a dealership, retailer, business or self-employed worker registered for the GST and QST.

For more information, phone Revenu Québec.

If the trailer is purchased from an individual, you are only required to pay the QST.

4 Registration renewal

You only pay once for the registration of your trailer, as long as you remain the owner.

Last update: May 13, 2022