Registering a Vehicle

Farm Trailer


A farmer who uses a trailer for the operation of a farm must register it at an SAAQ service outlet.

A farm trailerA trailer with a net weight of 2,300 kg or less owned by a farmer and used primarily to carry farm produce or the equipment required to produce it. is a trailer owned by a farmer who uses it for the operation of a farm.

1 Before registration

The trailer cannot be registered…

If the buyer or the seller has an unpaid fine for an offence under the Highway Safety Code or a municipal traffic or parking bylaw.

To check whether your trailer can be registered, you can use our online service. You will be charged a fee for this service.

Registration with the Commission des transports du Québec

You must be registered in the register of owners and operators of heavy vehicles of the Commission des transports du Québec (CTQ):

  • if the trailer has a gross vehicle weight ratingA vehicle's weight, including its maximum load capacity, according to the manufacturer's specifications. of 4,500 kg or more
  • AND
  • if the trailer is not equipped with a drawbar to which a towing coupling device is attached that may be hitched to the towing vehicle with a tow pin

If you are not registered with the CTQ, you can still register your farm trailer, but you cannot put it into operation.

To avoid unpleasant surprises

Before buying a used trailer, check with the Registre des droits personnels et réels mobiliers (register of personal and movable real rights—in French only) to make sure it is free of debt. If you buy a trailer that has not been paid for in full, it can be seized by the creditor.

You can also request a copy of the vehicle record from the SAAQ to find out:

  • if it has been rebuilt
  • if it has passed a mechanical inspection
  • how many people have owned it
  • how it has been used

To obtain a copy of the vehicle record, you can:

2 When you register your trailer

Documents required

The buyer and the seller must present their driver's licence or another official photo ID document.

To demonstrate that the trailer will be used for the operation of their farm, farmers are also required to show:

  • their Union des producteurs agricoles (UPA) membership card


  • a registration card for an agricultural operation issued by the Ministère de l'Agriculture, des Pêcheries et de l'Alimentation du Québec (MAPAQ)

If the farm trailer is new

You must present the Attestation de transaction avec un commerçant and Description du véhicule neuf forms that you received from the dealer.

If the farm trailer is used

The documents you must present when you register your trailer are different depending on the person or business from which you bought it.

Bought from a dealership Bought from an individual Bought from a business registered for the GST and QSTA business or self-employed worker that is registered for and collects the GST and QST. For more information, phone Revenu Québec.
  • The Attestation de transaction avec un commerçant form
  • The registration certificate signed by the former owner and the dealer
  • No additional documents required
  • The sales contract between the buyer and the business that owns the trailer

If you do not have the farm trailer's registration certificate, phone us.

If you are under age 18

You must also present the Consent of a Person Having Parental Authority (PDF, 123.4 ko) form completed by your father, mother or legal guardian.

If you do not have a driver's licence

Phone us to find out what documents you must bring with you when registering your trailer.

If you cannot go in person

The person who goes to the service outlet for you must bring the original Power of Attorney (PDF, 298.8 ko) form completed by you beforehand.

If the trailer comes from outside Québec

The trailer is considered an imported vehicle. In that case, there are other documents you have to present so that we can verify whether the trailer is authorized for road use in Québec. To find out more, visit the Registering a vehicle from outside Québec web page.

3 Costs and payment

Registration fees

To find out the cost to have a farm trailer registered, visit the Rates and Fines section.

Payment options

At our service outlets, we accept payment:

  • in cash
  • by Interac (debit card)—not available in some service outlets
  • by cheque or money order

Payment by credit card is not accepted.

Payment of the GST and QST

Whether the trailer is new or used, you must pay the GST and QST if you buy it from a dealership, business or self-employed worker that is registered for and collects the GST and QST.

For more information, phone Revenu Québec.

If the trailer is purchased from an individual, you are only required to pay the QST.

4 Info+

Registration renewal

You only pay once for the registration of your farm trailer, as long as you remain the owner.

The seller remains the owner and person liable for the trailer until...

The farm trailer is registered in the buyer's name.

This means that should the buyer commit an offence or be involved in an accident with a trailer that is still registered in the seller's name, it is the seller who would be held responsible.

Last update: May 16, 2022