You must hold private civil liability insurance for at least $500,000 to ensure compensation for any bodily injury or property damage caused by your vehicle.

Such insurance coverage is required with the following vehicles:

  • snowmobiles with a net weightWeight of the vehicle and the equipment permanently attached to it, excluding the weight of its load. of 450 kg or less and whose width does not exceed 1.28 m, equipment included
  • four-wheel vehicles that are equipped with a straddle seat and handlebars (quad bikes)
  • four-wheel vehicles that are equipped with one or more non-straddle seats, a steering wheel, pedals and a protective structure— and all of whose wheels are driving wheels and whose net weight does not exceed 450 kg in the case of single-seat vehicles and 750 kg in the case of multi-seat vehicles (recreational off-road vehicles)
  • trail bikes
  • any other motorized all-terrain vehicles that have 3 or more wheels and handlebars, are designed to be straddled and whose net weight does not exceed 600 kg
Useful information

Check with the SAAQ to find out if you are entitled to financial compensation for injuries sustained in an accident involving your snowmobile or all-terrain vehicle.

The seller remains the owner and person liable for the vehicle until...

…the vehicle is registered in the buyer's name.

This means that if a buyer were to commit an offence or be involved in an accident with a vehicle that was still registered in the seller's name, the seller would be held responsible.