Registering a Vehicle


You must hold private civil liability insurance for at least $1,000,000 to ensure compensation for any bodily injury or property damage caused by your vehicle.

Such insurance coverage is required with the following vehicles:

  • snowmobiles with a net weightWeight of the vehicle and the equipment permanently attached to it, excluding the weight of its load. of 450 kg or less
  • quad bikes
  • recreational off-road vehicles
  • all-terrain motorcycles, including motocross bikes
  • all other motorized vehicles primarily designed or adapted to be operated on uneven or unpaved terrain or terrain that is difficult to access, especially surfaces covered with snow, ice, earth, sand or gravel, as well as in wooded areas and other natural environments.

Check with the SAAQ to find out if you are entitled to financial compensation for injuries sustained in an accident involving your snowmobile or all-terrain vehicle.

The seller remains the owner and person liable for the vehicle until...

…the vehicle is registered in the buyer's name.

This means that if a buyer were to commit an offence or be involved in an accident with a vehicle that was still registered in the seller's name, the seller would be held responsible.

Last update: September  9, 2021