Registering a Vehicle

New or Used Motorcycle Bought from a Dealer


If you purchase or rent a motorcycle from a motorcycle dealer or other retailer, you must register it at an SAAQ service outlet.

If the model year of the motorcycle is prior to 1981

The motorcycle may be considered a vehicle with restricted-area use. Such a motorcycle may only be operated on roads where the speed limit is 70 km/h or less.

1 Before registration

The vehicle cannot be registered…

If the buyer or the seller has an unpaid fine for an offence under the Highway Safety Code or under a municipal traffic or parking bylaw.

The Bureau des infractions et amendes and the municipal courts are responsible for collecting fines. You cannot pay a fine at an SAAQ service outlet.

To check whether the vehicle can be registered, you can use our online service. You will be charged a fee for this service.

2 When you resgister your motorcycle

You must go to one of our service outlets shortly after the delivery of the motorcycle to register it in your name.

If you want a green licence plate for your electric motorcycle, be sure to go to a service outlet that issues that type of licence plate.

Documents required by the SAAQ

  • Your driver's licence or another official photo ID document


  • If the motorcycle is new:
    • the forms entitled Attestation de transaction avec un commerçant and Description du véhicule neuf, provided by the dealer
  • If the motorcycle is used:
    • the form entitled Attestation de transaction avec un commerçant


    • the registration certificate signed by the former owner and the dealer

Before Going to an SAAQ Service Outlet

To find out which documents are necessary for the calculation of QST, call Revenu Québec:

  • if the vehicle is more than 25 years old (more than 40 years old, in the case of a truck)
  • if the vehicle is a used luxury vehicle less than 25 years old and not listed in the reference guide used by Revenu Québec (luxury vehicles that are not listed: Aston Martin, Bentley, Ferrari, Hummer, Lamborghini, Lotus, Maserati and Rolls Royce)
  • if the vehicle comes from outside Canada
  • if the used vehicle is damaged or has unusual wear

If you are under age 18

You must also bring:


  • the form entitled Attestation de transaction avec un commerçant

If you do not have a driver's licence

Phone us to find out what documents you must bring with you when registering your motorcycle.

If you cannot go in person

The person registering the vehicle on your behalf will need to provide:

If the motorcycle is from outside Québec

It is considered to be animported vehicle. In that case, there are other documents you have to present so that we can verify whether the motorcycle is authorized for road use in Québec. To find out more, visit the Registering a vehicle from outside Québec web page.

3 Costs and payment

Payment methods

At our service outlets, we accept payment:

  • in cash
  • by Interac (debit card)—not available in some service outlets
  • by one or more pre-authorized debits (a cheque specimen must be provided)
  • by cheque or money order

Payment by credit card is not accepted.

Payment of the GST and QST

If the motorcycle is bought from a dealership, you must pay the GST and QST to the dealer on delivery.

The vehicle registration fee will be higher if…

The motorcycle is considered a high-risk motorcycle, that is, a motorcycle designed for performance and recognized as such by its manufacturer.

4 Insurance

You must have a civil liability insurance policy contracted from a private insurer providing minimum coverage of $50,000.

If you are not insured and you are pulled over by the police or involved in a traffic accident that causes more than $500 in damage to the property of another party:

  • your driver's licence or your right to obtain one could be suspended
  • all of your vehicles may be prohibited from being put into operation
  • you will be fined $325 to $2,800

Last update: June 15, 2022