Registering a Vehicle

New or Used Moped or Motorized Scooter Bought from a Dealer


If you are purchasing or renting a moped or motorized scooter from a dealer or other retailer, you must register the vehicle at an SAAQ service outlet.

Mopeds and motorized scootersA 2- or 3-wheel passenger vehicle equipped with an electric motor or a gasoline-powered engine with a cylinder capacity of no more than 50 cc and an automatic transmission. are considered as part of the same category.

To be authorized for road use in Québec, a moped or motorized scooter must have:

  • 2 or 3 wheels
  • a maximum speed of 70 km/h
  • an automatic transmission
  • an electric motor or a gasoline-powered motor having a cylinder capacity of not more than 50 cc

1 Before registration

The vehicle cannot be registered…

If the buyer or the seller has an unpaid fine for an offence under the Highway Safety Code or under a municipal traffic or parking bylaw.

The Bureau des infractions et amendes and the municipal courts are responsible for collecting fines. You cannot pay a fine at an SAAQ service outlet.

To check whether the vehicle can be registered, you can use our online service

2 When you register your moped or motorized scooter

You must go to one of our service outlets shortly after the delivery of the vehicle to register it in your name.

Documents required by the SAAQ

  • Your driver's licence or another official photo ID document
  • AND
  • If the moped or scooter is new:
    • the forms entitled Attestation de transaction avec un commerçant and Description du véhicule neuf, provided by the dealer
  • If the moped or scooter is used:
    • the form entitled Attestation de transaction avec un commerçant
    • AND
    • the registration certificate signed by the former owner and the dealer

Before Going to an SAAQ Service Outlet

Call Revenu Québec to find out which documents are necessary for the calculation of QST in the following cases:

  • if the vehicle is more than 25 years old (more than 40 years old, in the case of a truck)
  • if the vehicle is a used luxury vehicle less than 25 years old and not listed in the reference guide used by Revenu Québec (luxury vehicles that are not listed: Aston Martin, Bentley, Ferrari, Hummer, Lamborghini, Lotus, Maserati and Rolls Royce)
  • if the vehicle comes from outside Canada
  • if the used vehicle is damaged or has unusual wear

If you are under age 18

You must also bring:

If you do not have a driver's licence

Phone us to find out what documents you must bring with you when registering your moped or motorized scooter.

If you cannot go in person

The person registering the vehicle on your behalf will need to provide:

If the moped or motorized scooter is from outside Québec

It is considered to be an imported vehicle. In that case, there are other documents you have to present so that we can verify whether the vehicle is authorized for road use in Québec. To find out more, visit the Registering a vehicle from outside Québec web page.

3 Costs and payment

Registration fees

To find out the cost to have a new or used moped or motorized scooter bought from a dealer registered, visit the Rates and Fines section.

Payment options

At our service outlets, we accept payment:

  • in cash
  • by Interac (debit card)not available in some service outlets
  • by one or more pre-authorized debits (a cheque specimen must be provided)
  • by cheque or money order

Payment by credit card is not accepted.

Payment of the GST and QST

If the moped or scooter is bought from a dealership, you must pay the GST and QST to the dealer on delivery.

Last update: November  1, 2022