Registering a Vehicle

Tool Vehicle


A business that owns a tool vehicle must have it registered at an SAAQ service outlet.

The following is a partial list of vehicles considered to be tool vehicles

  • Graders
  • Back loaders
  • Mobile cranes
  • Power shovels
  • Backhoe loaders
  • Snow blowers
  • Street sweepers that are not mounted on a truck chassis

If you only use a tool vehicleA road vehicle, other than a vehicle mounted on a truck chassis, designed to perform a task and having a workstation integrated into the cab. A truck chassis is a frame fitted with the mechanical components found on a vehicle made for the transportation of passengers, freight or equipment. a few months a year, you may put it in storage. You may be entitled to a partial reimbursement of the registration fees, depending on when you carry out the storage operation.

If you are a farmer, you are not required to register your farm machinery, except for the farm tractor used in the operation of your farm.

1 Before registration

The vehicle cannot be registered…

If the buyer or the seller has an unpaid fine for an offence under the Highway Safety Code or under a municipal traffic or parking bylaw.

The Bureau des infractions et amendes and the municipal courts are responsible for collecting fines. You cannot pay a fine at an SAAQ service outlet.

To check whether the vehicle can be registered, you can use our online service

To register a tool vehicle to a business

The business must be registered with the Registraire des entreprises (enterprise register), because you need to provide your Québec enterprise number (NEQ) to register your tool vehicle.

To avoid unpleasant surprises

Before buying a used tool vehicle, check with the Registre des droits personnels et réels mobiliers (register of personal and movable real rights—in French only) to make sure it is free of debt. If you buy a vehicle that has not been paid for in full, it can be seized by the creditor.

You can also request a copy of the vehicle record from the SAAQ to find out:

  • how many people have owned it
  • how it has been used

To obtain a copy of the vehicle record, you can:

2 When you register your tool vehicle

Documents required

The buyer and the seller–or their representatives–must present their driver's licence or another official photo ID document.

If the tool vehicle is new

The buyer must present the Attestation de transaction avec un commerçant form given by the dealer.

If the tool vehicle is used

The documents you must present when you register your tool vehicle are different depending on the person or business from which you bought it. In any case, you must indicate the vehicle's odometer reading.

Bought from a dealership Bought from an individualBought from a business or a self-employed worker registered for the GST and QSTA business or self-employed worker that is registered for and collects the GST and QST. For more information, phone Revenu Québec.
  • The Attestation de transaction avec un commerçant form
  • The registration certificate signed by the former owner and the dealer
  • No additional documents required
  • The sales contract between the buyer and the business or self-employed worker

If the person registering the vehicle does not have a driver's licence

Phone us to find out what documents to bring when registering the tool vehicle.

If none of the business's directors can come to the service outlet in person

The person registering the vehicle will have to present the original copy of a document authorizing that person to act on its behalf.

If the vehicle comes from outside Québec

A vehicle from outside Québec is considered to be an imported vehicle, which means there are other documents the buyer will have to provide so that we can verify whether the vehicle can be used in Québec. Refer to Registering a vehicle from outside Québec section for more information.

3 Costs and payment

Registration fees

To find out the cost to have a tool vehicle registered, visit the Rates and Fines section.

Payment options

At our service outlets, we accept payment:

  • in cash
  • by Interac (debit card)—not available in some service outlets
  • by cheque or money order

Payment by credit card is not accepted.

Payment of the GST and QST

Whether the tool vehicle is new or used, the buyer must pay the GST and QST if the vehicle is bought from a dealership, business or self-employed worker registered for the GST and QST.

For more information, phone Revenu Québec.

If the tool vehicle is purchased from an individual, the buyer is only required to pay the QST.

4 Installing flashing or rotating amber lights

It is important to check whether you are allowed to install flashing or rotating lights on a tool vehicle.

Last update: May 16, 2022