Registering a Vehicle

Before registration

The vehicle cannot be registered…

If the buyer or the seller has an unpaid fine for an offence under the Highway Safety Code or under a municipal traffic or parking bylaw.

The Bureau des infractions et amendes and the municipal courts are responsible for collecting fines. You cannot pay a fine at an SAAQ service outlet.

To check whether the vehicle can be registered, you can use our online service. You will be charged a fee for this service.

Registration in the Registre des propriétaires et des exploitants de véhicules lourds (register of owners and operators of heavy vehicles)

If the owner of the bus or minibus is a business, it must be registered in the Registre des propriétaires et des exploitants de véhicules lourds of the Commission des transports du Québec (CTQ) because such a vehicle is considered to be a heavy vehicleVehicle with a gross vehicle weight rating (GVWR) of 4,500 kg or more, as indicated on the compliance label..

If the business that bought the bus or minibus is not registered in the Registre, it can still register the vehicle, but cannot put it into operation.

Mechanical inspection

  • If the school bus or minibus is used, the most recent mechanical inspection must have been performed within the past 6 months.
    • If the most recent mechanical inspection was performed more than 6 months ago, you must make an appointment at a mechanical inspection centre to obtain a valid mechanical inspection certificate.
  • If the vehicle is from outside Québec, you must present a valid mechanical inspection certificate, even if you bought it from a dealership.

The mechanical inspection is not required for a minibus used by a family of 9 or more people living in the same household.

To avoid unpleasant surprises

Before buying a used bus or minibus, check with the Registre des droits personnels et réels mobiliers (register of personal and movable real rights—in French only) to make sure it is free of debt. If you buy a bus or minibus that has not been paid for in full, it can be seized by the creditor.

You can also request a copy of the vehicle record from the SAAQ to find out:

  • if it has been rebuilt
  • if it has passed a mechanical inspection
  • how many people have owned it
  • how it has been used
  • its odometer reading

To obtain a copy of the vehicle record, you can:

If the bus or minibus is not authorized for road use or has been in storage for one year or longer

You must present it for a mechanical inspection. If it passes the inspection, you will be issued a valid mechanical inspection certificate and you will be asked to present the certificate when you register your vehicle.

Last update: May 13, 2022