Registering a Vehicle
Costs and payment
To find out the cost to have a vehicle, new motor home or used motor home bought from a dealer registered, visit the Rates and Fines Rates and Fines section.
At our service outlets, we accept payment:
- in cash
- by Interac (debit card)—not available in some service outlets
- by one or more pre-authorized debits (a cheque specimen must be provided)
- by cheque or money order
Payment by credit card is not accepted.
Payment of the GST and QST
If the vehicle registration is completed at the dealership, you will have to pay the GST and QST to the dealer on delivery.
If the vehicle registration is completed at the SAAQ, you will have to pay the GST at the dealership and the QST at the time of registration.
The vehicle registration fee will be higher if:
- the vehicle is considered a luxury vehicle. This is the case when the vehicle meets all 3 of the following criteria:
- it is worth more than $40,000
- it has a net weight of 3,000 kg or less
- it is less than 7 years old
The additional registration fee equals 1% of the vehicle's value exceeding $40,000.
- the vehicle is considered a large-cylinder capacity vehicle. This is the case when:
- its engine has a cylinder capacity of 3.95 litres or more
- the model year is 1995 or later
- you live in an area where public transit is available
- you live in the Montréal agglomeration
Last update: August 24, 2023