Registering a Vehicle
New or Used Car or Motor Home Bought from a Dealer
If you are purchasing or renting an automobile or a motor home from a car dealer or other retailer, you can either have that person register the vehicle or do it yourself at an SAAQ service outlet.
Automobiles with a net weightWeight of the vehicle and the equipment permanently attached to it, excluding the weight of its load. of 3,000 kg or less and motor homesA motor vehicle permanently converted into living quarters. are categorized as passenger vehiclesA motor vehicle, other than a motorcycle, a moped and a minibus. This vehicle must be owned by a natural person, carry up to 9 occupants (where such transportation does not require a permit from the Commission des transports du Québec), and be used mainly for personal purposes., which also include:
- sport utility vehicles (SUV)
- pick-up trucksA 2-axle road vehicle with a net weight between 3,000 and 4,000 kg owned by an individual, which is not used for commercial or employment-related purposes, and is equipped with a separate enclosed cab and has (or originally had) an open truck box and tailgate. used for personal purposes that have two axles and a net weight of more than 3,000 kg but less than 4,000 kg
- military vehicles, provided:
- they have the same configuration as road vehicles intended for use on public roads
- they are equipped to be compliant for road use
- they are equipped with tires and not with tracks
- they have undergone an inspection by an engineer belonging to the Ordre des ingénieurs du Québec or another person who is legally authorized to practise this profession in Québec
- they have undergone a valid mechanical inspection after receiving a favourable assessment by the engineer
The registration procedure is the same for all of these vehicles.
1 Before registration
The vehicle cannot be registered…
If the buyer or the seller has an unpaid fine for an offence under the Highway Safety Code or under a municipal traffic or parking bylaw.
To check whether the vehicle can be registered, you can use our online service. You will be charged a fee for this service.
2 Registration at the dealership
The vehicle registration is usually completed by the dealer on delivery of the new or used vehicle.
- If the dealer makes use of the online vehicle registration service "SAAQclic-Commerçants", you will save time by not having to go to one of our service outlets.
- If not, the dealer will provide you with a temporary registration certificate, which will give you time to go to one of our service outlets and register the vehicle.
Documents required by the dealer
You must show your driver's licence or another official photo ID document.
3 Registration at an SAAQ service outlet
You must go to one of our service outlets shortly after the delivery of the vehicle to register it in your name.
Documents required by the SAAQ
- Your driver's licence or another official photo ID document
- If the vehicle is new:
- the forms entitled Attestation de transaction avec un commerçant and Description du véhicule neuf, provided by the dealer
- If the vehicle is used:
- the form entitled Attestation de transaction avec un commerçant
- the registration certificate signed by the former owner and the dealer
If you are under age 18
You must also bring:
If you do not have a driver's licence
Phone us to find out what documents you must bring with you when registering your vehicle.
If you cannot go in person
The person registering the vehicle on your behalf will need to provide:
- the original Power of Attorney (PDF, 178 KB) form completed by you
- the form entitled Attestation de transaction avec un commerçant, provided by the dealer
If the vehicle is from outside Québec
A vehicle from outside Québec is considered to be an imported vehicle, which means there are other documents you will have to provide so that we can verify whether the vehicle can be used in Québec. Refer to the Registering a vehicle from outside Québec section for more information.
If the vehicle is a military-type vehicle
If you wish to operate your military-type vehicle on the entire road network and it has not been registered prior to August 22, 2019, you must bring the engineer’s declaration form entitled Déclaration de l’ingénieur (in French only). You must also bring the valid certificate of a mechanical inspection carried out after the engineer gave a favourable assessment.
4 Costs and payment
At our service outlets, we accept payment:
- in cash
- by Interac (debit card)—not available in some service outlets
- by one or more pre-authorized debits (a cheque specimen must be provided)
- by cheque or money order
Payment by credit card is not accepted.
Payment of the GST and QST
If the vehicle registration is completed at the dealership, you will have to pay the GST and QST to the dealer on delivery.
If the vehicle registration is completed at the SAAQ, you will have to pay the GST at the dealership and the QST at the time of registration.
The vehicle registration fee will be higher if…
- the vehicle is considered a luxury vehicle. This is the case when the vehicle meets all 3 of the following criteria:
- it is worth more than $40,000
- it has a net weight of 3,000 kg or less
- it is less than 7 years old
The additional registration fee equals 1% of the vehicle's value exceeding $40,000.
- the vehicle is considered a large-cylinder capacity vehicle. This is the case when:
- its engine has a cylinder capacity of 3.95 litres or more
- the model year is 1995 or later
- you live in an area where public transit is available
- you live in the Montréal agglomeration
You must have a civil liability insurance policy contracted from a private insurer providing minimum coverage of $50,000.
If you are not insured and you are pulled over by the police or involved in a traffic accident that causes more than $500 in damage to the property of another party:
- your driver's licence or your right to obtain one could be suspended
- all of your vehicles may be prohibited from road use
- you will be fined $325 to $2,800