Registering a Vehicle
Costs and payment
To find out the cost to have a vehicle registered, visit the Rates and Fines section.
At our service outlets, we accept payment:
- in cash
- by Interac (debit card)—not available in some service outlets
- by one or more pre-authorized debits (a cheque specimen must be provided)
- by cheque or money order
Payment by credit card is not accepted.
Payment of the QST
At the time of registration, you are required to pay the QST, even in the case of a used vehicle. The SAAQ collects the QST on the agreed selling price or the estimated value of the vehicle, whichever is greater.
You do not have to pay the GST because the sale is between individuals.
For more information on the payment or collection of taxes, phone Revenu Québec.
The vehicle registration fee will be higher if…
- the vehicle is considered a luxury vehicle. This is the case when the vehicle meets all 3 of the following criteria:
- it is worth more than $40,000
- it has a net weight of 3,000 kg or less
- it is less than 7 years old
The additional registration fee equals 1% of the vehicle's value exceeding $40,000.
- the vehicle is considered a large-cylinder capacity vehicle. This is the case when:
- its engine has a cylinder capacity of 3.95 litres or more
- the model year is 1995 or later
- you live in an area where public transit is available
- you live in the Montréal agglomeration
Last update: December 1, 2022