Public Automobile Insurance Plan
Indemnity for Students
If you were involved in a traffic accident that prevents you from pursuing your education, the SAAQ may compensate you for the loss of a school year or a semester.
What you should know
We may award you an indemnity for the loss of a school year or a semester if you missed:
- one school year at the elementary or high school level
- one semester of postsecondary education (for example, at a Cégep or a university)
You have a maximum of 3 years as of the date of the accident, the onset of injury or death to file a compensation claim with the SAAQ.
Indemnity for students
If you are a student, you may receive:
- $5,377 per missed elementary school year
- $9,867 per missed high school year
- $9,867 per missed semester of postsecondary education (for example, at a Cégep or a university), up to a maximum of $19,733 per year
Duration of the indemnity for students
The indemnity is paid in one lump-sum payment at the end of the missed school year or semester.
- For a student under age 16, the indemnity ends at the end of the school year in which he or she has reached age 16.
- For a student aged 16 or older, the indemnity ends on the scheduled date of completion of current studies at the time of the accident.
Income replacement indemnity for students who also held employment at the time of the accident
If you also held employment and have become unable to work, you may also claim an income replacement indemnity.
About the indemnities paid by the SAAQ…
- They are not considered taxable income, but they may have an impact on certain tax credits or social programs.
- Only the income replacement indemnity is subject to garnishment for payment of spousal or child support.
- Several indemnities are indexed annually.
Do you have any questions?
We are there to help you. Phone us. We will give you all the information that applies to your situation. If need be, we will put you in contact with your compensation officer.