In the Event of a Hit-and-Run

What you should know

Eligibility Criteria

You can file a claim for compensation if all of the following conditions are met:

  • The accident occurred in Québec.
  • You are the owner of the damaged vehicle or property (a fence or a bicycle, for example).
  • You are not entirely responsible for the accident.
  • Your insurance policy does not cover hit-and-run accidents.
  • Your insurance policy includes civil liability coverage of at least $50,000.
  • You reported the hit-and-run to the police no later than 48 hours after it occurred.
  • You filed your claim with the SAAQ no later than 60 days after the accident.
  • You did not sell or discard your vehicle nor have repairs made to your vehicle or property before the SAAQ assessed the damage.
  • Your driver’s licence is valid and was not under suspension at the time of the accident.
  • Your vehicle is registered and its registration is valid.
  • Your vehicle or other property sustained more than $500 in damage (minus a 10% deductible of the vehicle’s value with a $500 minimum; the maximum amount of compensation is $10,000).

Please note that the SAAQ may request to have the damage assessed by an accredited appraiser at any point before rendering a decision on the eligibility of a claim for property damage to a vehicle or other property in the event of a hit-and-run.


You cannot file a claim for compensation if you are in any one of the following situations:

  • Your insurance policy covers the property damage you sustained.
  • You were driving your vehicle while your licence was under suspension or was not valid.
  • You did not hold civil liability insurance covering property damage to another party.
  • Your vehicle was not registered or your registration fees had not been paid.
  • You are claiming compensation for objects being carried in the damaged vehicle.
  • The vehicle or other property sustained less than $500 in damage.
  • You are an insurer, a legal person (company or business), a partnership, a government body or an agent or mandatary of the government.
  • The property damage was caused by a vehicle that was taking part in a race, competition, show, trial, demonstration or exhibition on a track or area temporarily or permanently closed to all other automobile traffic, or inside a building.


Last update: May  5, 2023