Traffic Accident With a Hit-and-Run

If you were involved in a traffic accident and the other driver fled the scene, the SAAQ may compensate you for the property damage you have sustained.

1 What you should know

If you are the victim of a hit-and-run, we may pay you an indemnity to cover the damage caused to your vehicle or other property. This indemnity does not replace your private automobile insurance.

Mandatory private insurance coverage

You must have a civil liability insurance policy contracted from a private insurer providing minimum coverage of $50,000.

If you are not insured and you are pulled over by the police or involved in a traffic accident that causes more than $500 in damage to the property of another party:

  • your driver's licence or your right to obtain one could be suspended
  • all of your vehicles may be prohibited from road use
  • you will be assessed a fine of $325 to $2,800


Here are the conditions under which you may file a claim in the event of a hit-and-run:

  • you reported the hit-and-run to the police no later than 48 hours after it occurred
  • you sustained property damage and the person who caused the accident cannot be identified
  • your insurance policy does not cover hit-and-run accidents
  • the accident occurred in Québec
  • you live in Québec
  • you are the owner of the damaged vehicle or property
  • no repairs have been made to your vehicle or property. We must assess the damage before repairs are made
  • you filed your claim for compensation no later than 60 days after the accident

Respect the deadlines for filing your claim

If you are the victim of a hit-and-run, the claim for compensation for damage to your vehicle or property must be filed no later than 60 days after the accident. The police report must be filed within 48 hours after the accident.

2 Indemnities in the event of a hit-and-run

We may pay you an indemnity of up to $10,000 for property damage.

A deductibleA deductible is an amount that represents a portion of the loss an insured person has to pay when filing a claim with an insurer or the SAAQ. It is always deducted from the amount paid by the insurer. will apply to the amount paid as follows:

  • $500 if the market value of your vehicle is less than $5,000
  • 10% of the market value of your vehicle if it is $5,010 or more

A deductible of $500 applies to damage to other property.

No indemnities can be paid in the event of a hit-and-run if:

  • you are entirely (100%) responsible for the damage sustained
  • your private automobile insurance covers property damage
  • you were driving without a valid driver's licence or vehicle registration or without the minimum mandatory civil liability insurance coverage
  • the property damage was caused by a vehicle that was participating in an automobile race, show or competition
  • you are claiming an indemnity for objects being carried in the damaged vehicle
  • you live in a Canadian province or territory or an American state in which Québec residents do not have the same rights if they are a victim of a hit-and-run
  • you are an insurer or a legal person (a company, business, corporation or government body)

3 Claim for compensation in the event of a hit-and-run

    • Time/Duration

      • 10 business days
    • Documents to provide

      • Automobile insurance policy
      • Report of the accident
      • Police report number or a copy of the accident report

You may:

To reach us


In Québec: 418 643-7620
In Montréal: 514 873-7620
Elsewhere (Québec, Canada, United States): 1 800 361-7620



Québec area: 418 646-6818
Elsewhere in Québec: 1 866 882-6964


Service de la trésorerie
Société de l'assurance automobile du Québec
333, boulevard Jean-Lesage, N-5-41
C. P. 19600, succursale Terminus
Québec (Québec) G1K 8J6

Documents to provide

  • Your automobile insurance policy (in effect at the time of the accident)
  • Your report of the accident (signed, including a diagram of the accident)
  • The police report number (or a copy of the accident report)

You will be assigned a file number, which will remain valid throughout the compensation process. Remember to write this number on the Claim for Property Damage (PDF, 309 KB) form.

4 Processing the application and the decision

Once you have sent your claim for compensation with the required documents, we will send you an acknowledgement of receipt indicating the names of the compensation officer assigned to your file and the claims adjuster who will look at the damage to the vehicle.

You will be asked to provide additional documents.

If you are unsatisfied with a decision by your officer, phone us for details. If you still disagree with the decision, you have the right to contest the decision before the Small Claims Division of the Court of Québec.