In the Event of an Accident

Compensation Claim

Step 0 Compensation Claim

You may claim:

To find out the maximum amounts payable by the SAAQ following a traffic accident, refer to the Compensation Table (PDF, 186.7 ko).

Filing your compensation claim


Use our online service to file your compensation claim.

Using the paper form

If you prefer to file your claim using the paper form, you must first call us to open a file and be given a claim number. You will need this number to complete the required compensation claim documents.

Select the form that applies to your situation

Disability lasting 8 days or longer

Disability lasting 7 days or less

Other ways of obtaining the claim for compensation form

  • You can ask the person who opens your claim file to mail it to you.
  • You can go to one of our service outlets and request it.

You have a maximum of 3 years from the date of the accident to file a compensation claim to the SAAQ.

In the case of a hit-and-run, you may be entitled to compensation for property damage.

Enclosing the required documents with your claim

  • The initial medical report
  • Proof of the accident, such as the accident report or a copy of the joint report of the traffic accident.
  • Supporting documents, such as receipts for expenses incurred

Remember to write your claim number on all documents you enclose with your claim.

Additional documents to enclose with your claim, depending on your situation

These documents will be required if you are unable to work for more than 7 consecutive days after your accident.

If you are a salaried employee

If you were scheduled to begin new employment within 6 days after the date of your accident…

You will be deemed to be holding that employment at the time of the accident.

If you are self-employed

You must send us, for each of the past 3 years:

Resident of Québec

  • your provincial income tax returns
  • your notices of assessment
  • your Business or Professional Income and Expenses forms from Revenu Québec or your statement of income (income and expenses)

Resident of other Canadian provinces

  • your federal income tax returns
  • your notices of assessment
  • your Statement of Business or Professional Activities forms from Revenue Canada or your statement of income (income and expenses)

 Non-resident of Canada

  • an official document issued by your country of origin confirming your income for the past 3 years
If you are a full-time student and age 16 or older

You must have the Attestation of School Attendance form completed. This form is provided to you with the claim for compensation form.

If you were receiving Employment Insurance benefits or an employment assistance allowance

You must have the Confirmation of Employment Insurance Benefits Lost or Confirmation of Employment-Assistance Allowance Lost form completed. This form is provided to you with the claim for compensation form.

If you work without pay in a family business

If you are no longer able to perform your usual work in the family business, you are entitled to a reimbursement of the labour costs incurred to hire someone to replace you for the first 180 days after your accident.

Submitting your documents


Use our Reimbursement of Expenses and Document Submission online service

By fax

1 866 289-7952

By mail

Société de l'assurance automobile du Québec
Case postale 2500, succursale Terminus
Québec (Québec) G1K 8A2

If you file your claim online or by fax…

You are not required to mail us the original documents.
Remember to write your claim number on all your documents (receipts, invoices, etc.).

Last update: May 17, 2022