International Driver’s Permit : Mandatory to Visit Québec for More Than 6 Months

If you are visiting Québec for more than 6 months, with no plans to settle here, you must hold an international driver's permit.

What you should know

An international driving permit is a "translation" of your driver's licence. You can obtain such a permit from the country that issued your driver's licence. This permit specifies—according to an internationally recognized classification—the types of vehicles you are allowed to drive.

If you are not a Canadian citizen and need an international driving permit in order to drive in Québec, you must file an application before leaving for Québec.

Useful information

An international driver's permit does not replace the driver's licence issued by your country of origin—it completes it.

To be valid, an international driver's permit must always be accompanied by your original valid driver's licence. In the event of a roadside check, you must show both documents.

You must hold an international driving permit if…

You are staying in Québec for more than 6 months and intend on driving on public roads.

You are not required to hold an international driver's permit if…

You are a foreign student or trainee

You are allowed to drive a passenger vehicle, a motorcycle, a moped or a scooter for the duration of your studies or traineeship with your foreign driver's licence provided that the licence is valid and bears the appropriate class for the type of vehicle used.

However, if your licence is neither in English or French, we highly recommend that you get an international driver's permit before leaving for Québec.