Automobile Insurance Act
The Automobile Insurance Act is a law of Québec. The SAAQ is responsible for enforcing this law, which establishes, among other things, rules respecting compensation of victims who have sustained bodily injuries in a traffic accident.
The Automobile Insurance Act in brief
The main purpose of the Automobile Insurance Act is to establish rules respecting compensation of victims who have sustained bodily injuries in a traffic accident, or of their relatives in the event of a death.
This law is the foundation for Québec's Public Automobile Insurance Plan, which is based on a no-fault principle. This means that compensation is awarded regardless of who is responsible for the accident or whether the accident occurred in Québec or anywhere else in the world, which confers "extraterritorial" jurisdiction to the Act.
To consult the Act
To consult the attendant regulations
- Regulation respecting the application of the Automobile Insurance Act (A25, r. 1)
- Regulation respecting permanent impairments (A25, r. 2)
- Regulation respecting insurance contributions (A25, r. 3.2)
- Direct Compensation Agreement for the Settlement of Automobile Claims (A25, r. 4)
- Regulation defining certain words and expressions for the purposes of the Automobile Insurance Act (A25, r. 5)
- Regulation respecting the time limit within which medical reports must be sent for the purposes of automobile insurance (A25, r. 6)
- Regulation respecting the determination of income and employment and the payment of the indemnity in section 83.30 of the Act (A25, r. 7)
- Regulation respecting exemptions from the obligation to hold a liability insurance contract (A25, r. 8)
- Regulation respecting compensation under Chapter II of Title IV of the Automobile Insurance Act (A25, r. 9)
- Regulation respecting lump-sum compensation for non-pecuniary damage (A25, r. 10)
- Regulation respecting certain lump sum indemnities referred to in section 44 of the Automobile Insurance Act (A25, r. 11)
- Regulation respecting indemnities payable under Title II of the Automobile Insurance Act (A25, r. 12)
- Regulation respecting the payment of income compensation entitlement in a single amount (A25, r. 13)
- Regulation respecting the reimbursement of certain expenses (A25, r. 14)
- Regulation respecting income (A25, r. 15)
- Regulation respecting the processing of a claim for compensation or application for review and recovery of sums owed to the Société de l'assurance automobile du Québec (A25, r. 16)