Modes of Transportation
Before buying a moped or scooter, here are a few things to consider in order to make an informed choice.
When buying a moped or scooter, make sure that:
- you have enough leg room
- you are comfortably seated
- the height of the seat allows you to place your feet on the ground, which is essential to keeping your balance at stops
If possible, ask for a road test. That way, you can check to see if you like driving the moped or scooter.
Go over every aspect of the warranty. In general, warranties have a one- to three-year term.
In addition to the cost of the vehicle, you must be prepared to buy a helmet, clothing and a few accessories, as well as pay for vehicle registration, a driver's licence and property damage insurance.
- Protective cover for outside parking and winter storage
- Storage box
- In Québec, all road vehicles must be registered (although the Highway Safety Code provides for a few exceptions to this rule). To find out how much it costs to register a moped or scooter for the current year, refer to the following page: Cost of Registration Renewal for the Current Year – Mopeds and Scooters.
- Shop around for your property damage insurance; prices vary appreciably from one insurer to another.
Last update: July 21, 2021