Replacing a Damaged or Defective Licence Plate
If your licence plate is damaged or defective, you can order a replacement online.
This service can be used to replace:
- a licence plate that has been damaged, for example in a traffic accident (fees apply)
- a licence plate that is defective due to its reflective film peeling off (free of charge)
This service cannot be used to replace:
If your plate has a particular issue or is non-compliant, you must call 1 800 361 7620 to receive help from one of our customer service agents.
Before you start
Have on hand your most recent registration certificate, since you will have to enter your certificate number in addition to the licence plate number in the request.
Anyone who has a damaged or defective licence plate. In the request form, make sure to select the reason corresponding to your situation in the “Reason for replacement” field.
- If your licence plate is damaged, you can have it replaced for a fee of $12.40. You will receive a statement of account within 15 business days. This fee is payable at your financial institution.
- If your licence plate is defective, we will replace it free of charge, since it has signs of wear related to a manufacturing defect causing the reflective film on the licence plate to peel off.
Under section 37 of the Highway Safety Code, the person in whose name a road vehicle is registered must ask the SAAQ to replace its plate if it is illegible or damaged. Otherwise, that person could be given a statement of offence from a police officer along with a related fine.
Making a request:
- Only one request for a replacement is accepted. If we receive multiple requests for a single licence plate, only the first request will be processed. Any further requests will be cancelled.
- Your new plate will display the same character combination as your current plate. If you have a personalized licence plate, your new plate will display the same character combination that you had chosen.
- Once your request has been submitted, you will be unable to modify or cancel it. Make sure that the information in your request is accurate before submitting it.
- Your new licence plate will be delivered by mail to the address on file at the SAAQ. Unless you have since changed your address, the licence plate will be sent to the address at which you received your most recent registration certificate.
- You should receive your new licence plate within 20 to 40 business days, subject to Canada Post delivery times.
Returning a plate:
- Once you receive your new plate, return your defective plate by mail (using the pre-paid envelope enclosed with your new plate, for addresses in Canada only) or bring it to a service outlet.
- We must recover your damaged or defective plate so that it is no longer in use, in particular to avoid fraudulent use.
- We will be able to destroy the plate safely and recycle the aluminum.
Our website and online services are designed to respect Web standards. They are generally accessible using the most common Web browsers. However, their appearance may differ from one browser to another. For the best experience, we recommend that you use a recent browser.
To use the SAAQ’s online services, you must enable cookies in your browser.
Please do not use trial versions of software or software under development (alpha, beta, RC).
Last update: January 27, 2023