Getting a probationary licence
Once you have passed the road test, you can get a probationary licence. This is the last step before getting your driver's licence.
Duration: 24 months
To keep it, you must:
- have fewer than 4 demerit points entered on your driving record (for more information, visit the Bad habits to avoid! page).
- comply with the zero alcohol rule.
- comply with the rule regarding the number of passengers aged 19 or younger you are allowed to carry between midnight and 5 a.m., if you are 19 years of age or younger and have held a probationary licence for less than 12 months.
|Months of driving experience with a probationary licence||Number of passengers (19 years of age or younger)|
|6 months or less||1|
|More than 6 months||3|
Regardless of the number of months you have driven with a probationary licence, members of your immediate family are not taken into account in the authorized number of passengers:
- your married, civil union or de facto spouse;
- your children and your spouse's children;
- your brothers and sisters;
- any other child of your father or mother or of either's spouse.
Restrictions on the number of passengers aged 19 or younger do not apply if you are accompanied by someone who has held a driver's licence for at least 2 years, who is in a position to give you assistance and advice and who is seated in the front passenger's seat.