Obtaining a Licence

Registering for a driving course and theoretical training

Step 2 Registering for a driving course and theoretical training

To obtain a passenger vehicle driver's licence, you must:

  • complete the required questionnaire before starting the driving course (PDF, 237.4 ko)
  • register for a driving course at a school that is recognized by the Association québécoise des transports (AQTr – website in French only)
    • It is possible for an individual to register for a driving course before turning 16 in order to complete the theoretical component.

The Class 5 driving course is mandatory

It consists of:

  • a 24-hour theoretical component
  • a 15-hour practical on-road component with a driving instructor
  • a self-study component made up of 12 modules with exercises, accessible in the Driving Course section of our website
  • studying the following documents: Driving a Passenger Vehicle, the Driver’s Handbook, and our driving school's manual

Before obtaining a Class 5 learner's licence

You must:

  • complete the 4 modules of Phase 1 of the driving course. Each module includes a 2-hour theory component given in the classroom and a self-study component available in the Driving Course section of our website
  • pass the knowledge test given by your driving school covering the material studied

If you are not a Canadian citizen

You must schedule an appointment by telephone before registering for a driving course.

Montréal area: 514-954-7771
Elsewhere in Québec: 1-888-356-6616

You will be asked which official documents you have in your possession (Permanent Resident Card, passport, etc.) to determine your status and check which procedure applies to your situation.

If you are Deaf or Hard of Hearing

We pay for the services of certified sign-language interpreters for the theoretical parts of the driving course. 

To take advantage of this service, you can either contact us or contact or a sign-language interpretation service mandated by us in order to have the cost of an interpreter authorized. The mandated sign-language interpretation service must offer its services in the area in which the driving school is located. You must take your driving course in a driving school certified by the Association québécoise des transports (AQTr).

A list of certified driving schools can be found on the website of the AQTr (in French only).

Interpretation services mandated by the SAAQ:

Last update: January 21, 2022