Step 0 Non-resident (visitor, tourist or other)

    • Contact us

      Québec area: 418-643-7620
      Montréal area: 514-873-7620
      Elsewhere (Québec, Canada, United States): 1-800-361-7620

If you are travelling in Québec, you may drive with your foreign driver's licence for 6 consecutive months if your licence:

  • is valid
  • authorizes you to drive the type of vehicle that you are using

Vehicles that you may drive

You may drive any type of vehicle, as long as the licence issued by your country of origin authorizes you to.

If you stay in Québec for longer than 6 months

You must hold a valid international driver's permit to be allowed to continue to drive on Québec roads.

You must always drive with both licences – your foreign driver's licence and your international driver's permit. You are allowed to drive in Québec for as long as your international driver's permit remains valid.

Useful information

The international driver's permit can only be issued in the country in which you obtained your driver's licence, and it is valid for one year. You must apply for your permit before coming to Québec.

What if your licence is written in a language other than French or English?

We recommend that you get an international driver's permit before coming to Québec, regardless of the length of your stay.

If you take up residence in Québec

If the licence issued in your country of origin so authorizes, you may operate an automobile, motorcycle or moped or scooterA 2- or 3-wheel passenger vehicle equipped with an electric motor or a gasoline-powered engine with a cylinder capacity of no more than 50 cc and an automatic transmission. for a maximum period of 6 months.

After that time, you are required to hold a Québec licence. You may apply for a Québec licence as soon as your arrive in the province. The process for obtaining such a licence varies depending on which country issued your driver's licence.