Foreign Driver's Licence

Canadian or foreign student or trainee

Step 0 Canadian or foreign student or trainee

    • Contact us


If you are a student or trainee from another Canadian province or territory or from abroad, you are allowed to drive for the duration of your studies or traineeship, provided:

  • you have a valid driver’s licence issued by another Canadian province or territory or a foreign country
  • that licence authorizes you to drive the type of vehicle that you are using

You are not required to obtain a Québec licence, except if you decide to take up residence in Québec.

Vehicles that you may drive

If your licence authorizes you to, you may drive:

  • an automobile
  • a motorcycle
  • a moped or scooterA 2- or 3-wheel passenger vehicle equipped with an electric motor or a gasoline-powered engine with a cylinder capacity of no more than 50 cc and an automatic transmission.

What if your licence is written in a language other than french or english?

We recommend that you get an international driver's permit before coming to Québec. This permit can only be issued in the country where your driver's licence was issued and is valid for one year.

Last update: May 10, 2022